We’re all hear for baby dragons, especially if we can get Andarna to be a aunty, right? That would be adorable. And of course, having hatchlings would complicate the story line so so much! And I think that is exactly what is happening.
What do we know so far?
“Don’t be ridiculous.” Sgaeyl blows out a blast of air that ruffles Xaden’s hair. “Do you think I’d let my offspring bond while still feathered?”
Right, right. And that is that. Until we reopen this conversation in Iron Flame.
The color of a dragon’s scales is hereditary—
“Wait a second. Is she yours?” I ask Tairn. “I swear to the gods, if she’s another secret you kept from me, I’ll—”
“But just to appease your curiosity, since this is the only time you’ll ever see him, here is the only other black besides General Melgren’s.”
It is the valley above Riorson House, heated by natural thermal energy, that is its greatest asset. For there lie the original hatching grounds of the Dubhmadinn Line, from which two of the greatest dragons of our time—Codagh and Tairn—descend.
—COLONEL KAORI’S FIELD GUIDE TO DRAGONKIND
Tairn and Sgaeyl had baby dragons?
Well as far as I’m concerned there are only two possible options here.
- Codagh has a mate we don’t know about, and they had hatchlings.
- Tairn and Sgaeyl had hatchlings, and they are both black. And Codagh has informed them, as he is the eldest of the den; hence he is the only one who can sense the colours. They could have been black or blue, I would assume.
- Andarna did wait centuries to hatch. Either she is very special or this is common and dragon eggs can decide when to hatch. In which case, these two black dragons from the vale have simply waited years and years to hatch, thus having nothing to do with Codagh or Tairn. But then, we all know Rebecca Yarros, nothing is coincidental. So I don’t think this was just a simple information in passing.
I do believe this is relevant because there is no coincidence that twice now, we had a discussion about Tairn and Sgaeyl having hatchlings in both Fourth Wing and Iron Flame. This is no coincidence for sure, and I’m here for it.
This would really complicate things
I already sort of suggested that Tairn might have killed his own rider, Naolin, for potentially reaching for the ground, and turning venin in trying to save Brennan. We get this hint from the moment he discusses Solas “Solas should never have given this barbarian more power.”
Almost as if he knows that Varrish is somehow venin and Solas was corrupted. This led me to believe that maybe Tairn killed Naolin himself and he almost died. But the question is, did he almost die because they severed the bond? Or did he almost die because he breached some serious laws within the Empyrean and he needed to be essentially executed. As far as we’re concerned, no other dragon died or almost died because their rider had died. And let’s face it, those seem to die ALL the time.
I digress but this is important. Because if by any means Tairn really did kill his own rider… now Sgaeyl is in a pickle. Theoretically, she needs to sever the bond herself from Xaden. But how could she? It must be horrifying to do something like this.
Which is why having hatchling will complicate things so much. Because now, Xaden is a huge danger not just to Tairn’s mate and Tairn’s rider but the most important: to his own hatchlings. And I think Tairn will want to roast Xaden and unalive him. Problem is…that would complicate his relationship with Violet and Sgaeyl.
Alright, I cannot wait to hear your thoughts on this one. I know this is a rather crazy theory.
- Iron Flame Theory: Thoughts about Violet’s box
- Iron Flame Theory: Parallel between Iron Flame characters and the Pantheon
- Iron Flame Theory: How come that Violet and Xaden share dreams?
- Iron Flame Theory: Bodhi is Xaden’s brother
- Predictions for Book 3 Empyrean Series
- Iron Flame Theory: Violet and Xaden are Gods
- Empyrean Series Theory: Xaden Riorson is a morally grey character.
- Iron Flame Theory: The physics of Violet’s signet (and why gravity is not her second signet)
- Iron Flame Theory: General Daramor is more important than we think
- Iron Flame Theory: Venin live forever
- Iron Flame Theory: The Isle Kingdoms’ Rift and the Unseen Alliances
- Iron Flame Theory: Are the Gods among us?
- Empyrean Series Theory: Did Liam master more signets than we initially thought?
- Iron Flame Theory: There is something off with the Sorrengail family dynamic
- Iron Flame Theory: The elixir developed by the leadership is not new
- Iron Flame Theory: We will have a new General in Book 3
- Iron Flame Theory: Smells are crucial clues (eyes too!)
- Iron Flame Theory: Tairn and Sgaeyl might have had hatchlings
- Iron Flame Theory: Why are dragons so afraid of hatchlings being discovered by humans?
- Iron Flame Theory: Varrish was venin
- Iron Flame Theory: The Barrens will be restored with Sloane’s help
- Iron Flame Theory: We will unite the continent and have a modern language
- Iron Flame Theory: Did Naolin really die saving Brennan?
- Iron Flame Questions and Answers – What do we know so far?
- Iron Flame Theory: Aaric’s blue clubtail to become Andarna’s mate
- Iron Flame Theory: Violet’s second signet
- Iron Flame Theory: Mr Sorrengail is General Venin
- Iron Flame Theories – A complete collection
- Iron Flame Theory: Andarna knows how to kill venin