I have a new wild theory about the elixir used in Iron Flame. I’ve been collecting evidence for the past few days but something didn’t add up…Until, one of you clever, observant and wonderful people pointed it that (hands up for Heather!) maybe, maybe, the poison that got Violet in Fourth Wing? Yeah, that’s the same as the elixir used by leadership.
And everything came together for me.So let’s dive right in. Oh, I’m so excited.
What do we know so far?
“Fucking show-off,” I mutter. “Is there anything you don’t excel at?” “Poisons,” […] “Never had the aptitude for them like you and Brennan. Or maybe it’s just that I could never sit still long enough to listen to Dad’s lessons.
“The water is crisp and cold…but there’s something else there, too. Pungent. Earthy.”
And we also know that we have an antidote for this.
“I uncork and drink, tasting something sweet and hard to place as I drain it.”
Alright, so there is an earthy, pungent elixir that muffles the bond between rider and dragon. An elixir which happens to smell the same as BAD dragon breath btw, and the same as the Archives… We also know that we have an antidote that tastes sweet.
What else then? Well, we move to the General Venin now.
“The rest turn for the power,” he whispers, coming so close I can smell a hint of something sweet on his breath.
Oh look, General Venin has a hint of something sweet on his breath. And no, I don’t think this is a coincidence.
[…] but I can’t feel him in my head, can’t feel my feet on the Archives floor, can’t access my power. I’m cut off, no longer grounded.
But what poison could paralyze me not only physically but magically?
OMG, just look at that. Venin that has the smell of the antidote on their breath? The poison that can sever the bond between rider and dragon already? It’s coming together.
BIG EDIT: You, you won’t believe it. I just realised something else. Go and read the first sentence of Iron Flame. Like right now!!! I will wait. Did you read it?
“Revolution tastes oddly…sweet.”
I’m sorry, it tastes sweet! Didn’t she just wake up after being poisoned? Sure Brennan mended her but did he, by any chance, give her an antidote here? Because it tastes sweet! OMG, how did I miss this? They have the antidote. They know what it is. Brennan already figured it out!
Second Edit: Our reader Diana pointed it out that we have something else sweet! Churam.
“I find the source of the sweet, easily identifiable smoke.”
“It helps with…distancing yourself.” He offers me the rolled churam and cocks an eyebrow at me—the one with the scar. “Beyond what shielding does, of course. […] That’s why the churam helps, but at least it’s like walking by a brothel instead of actively participating in one.”
Wait…wait. Churam can muffle the bonds. So then, did the General Venin in the dreams used churam and NOT the antidote? So, is he basically a rider muffling the bond with his dragon? Does the antidote uses churam as an ingredient? As one other reader pointed it out Mayelianna, antidotes by example in real life are pieces of the poisons muted down…Did Rebecca Yarros introduce us to Xaden smoking churam because it was a lot more relevant than we initially thought?
The elixir developed by the leadership is not new
The elixir developed by the leadership is not new at all. But it does beg the question. Why was it developed?
“Tairn isn’t a fan, either.” Gods, I’m so tired. Why the hell would leadership be developing ways to weaken us? Because that’s what it felt like, being weakened[…]
Was it developed by venin as a way to disconnect from their dragons to be able to communicate within the venin grounds and keep the dragons away? Train venin somehow? Did the green-tipped dagger had too much poison? Is that why Violet’s blood was turning black? Like too high of a concentration that literally kills? And the leadership developed that further? Kinda watered down that poison? Or used the same herb somehow to develop their own elixir?
As with most theories from Iron Flame, I swear, the moment I discover something, I’m just left with a ton more questions. Either way, I do think venin had been using this elixir for a while, and also they’ve been using the antidote too. General Venin is proof of it.
Now, why Lilith Sorrengail had it on her right away to give to Violet, that’s a different matter. To help Violet because she knew she’d been kept captive, or…? I think we will learn that Lilith Sorrengail knew a hell of a lot more than we anticipated.
Ok, we also know that in order to keep venin at bay, we need this elixir. Venin use it for some reason. Riders use it to keep venin in check. Argh, I am so desperate for answers right now. Why would venin use it?
“You here to dose me? Pretty sure I’m not due until tomorrow morning.”
“What’s the cure?” I fold my arms across my chest.
“For the serum?” He scoffs. “The antidote.”
Thank you so much Heather for bringing this to my attention. I am so curious what you’re all thinking about this now. Are we thinking the poison / elixir are one and the same?
- Iron Flame Theory: Thoughts about Violet’s box
- Iron Flame Theory: Parallel between Iron Flame characters and the Pantheon
- Iron Flame Theory: How come that Violet and Xaden share dreams?
- Iron Flame Theory: Bodhi is Xaden’s brother
- Predictions for Book 3 Empyrean Series
- Iron Flame Theory: Violet and Xaden are Gods
- Empyrean Series Theory: Xaden Riorson is a morally grey character.
- Iron Flame Theory: The physics of Violet’s signet (and why gravity is not her second signet)
- Iron Flame Theory: General Daramor is more important than we think
- Iron Flame Theory: Venin live forever
- Iron Flame Theory: The Isle Kingdoms’ Rift and the Unseen Alliances
- Iron Flame Theory: Are the Gods among us?
- Empyrean Series Theory: Did Liam master more signets than we initially thought?
- Iron Flame Theory: There is something off with the Sorrengail family dynamic
- Iron Flame Theory: The elixir developed by the leadership is not new
- Iron Flame Theory: We will have a new General in Book 3
- Iron Flame Theory: Smells are crucial clues (eyes too!)
- Iron Flame Theory: Tairn and Sgaeyl might have had hatchlings
- Iron Flame Theory: Why are dragons so afraid of hatchlings being discovered by humans?
- Iron Flame Theory: Varrish was venin
- Iron Flame Theory: The Barrens will be restored with Sloane’s help
- Iron Flame Theory: We will unite the continent and have a modern language
- Iron Flame Theory: Did Naolin really die saving Brennan?
- Iron Flame Questions and Answers – What do we know so far?
- Iron Flame Theory: Aaric’s blue clubtail to become Andarna’s mate
- Iron Flame Theory: Violet’s second signet
- Iron Flame Theory: Mr Sorrengail is General Venin
- Iron Flame Theories – A complete collection
- Iron Flame Theory: Andarna knows how to kill venin