I’ve been sitting on this theory since Fourth Wing, to be honest, and I believe it’s time to speak my mind about it: I think we will unite the continent and create a universal, modern language. Wait, what? How did that come about?
At the very beginning of both “Fourth Wing” and “Iron Flame”, we have the following text:
“The following text has been faithfully transcribed from Navarrian into the modern language by Jesinia Neilwart, Curator of the Scribe Quadrant at Basgiath War College. All events are true, and names have been preserved to honor the courage of those fallen. May their souls be commended to Malek.“
This got us all pretty riled up, right? What do you mean the events are true? What do you mean their names have been preserved? But then, in “Iron Flame”, we start talking about something very interesting in one of the History Classes.
Poromiel’s provinces maintain their individual cultural identities whereas Navarrian provinces, who unified under the protection of the first wards, chose the common language. So we all know that Navarrian is the common language. We also know from “Iron Flame” the difficulty of trying to translate all those old books from what are now considered “dead languages”. It takes days, and luckily Violet can speak several languages, Jesinia can also speak some, and Dain is a hero in this sense too.
Why is this relevant? Because whatever the outcome at the end of the Empyrean Series (whether our main characters survive or not), I do believe good will win and venin will be eradicated. Peace will be once again restored and the continent will unify to ensure venin never returns.
But in creating this unification, much like what happened under the Navarrian unification, they need to create a modern language so everyone can communicate. And I believe to avoid history repeating, Jesinia (with other curators) will simply translate all documents in the modern language, including their “real history” which is what we’re basically reading in the Empyrean Series.
And I believe the recovered letters and recovered missives are just part of evidence in existence to support and maintain all parts of the history, and ensure nothing is missing.
So does that mean the Empyrean Series will have a happy ending?
Err, I really don’t know. Let’s be a bit real for a moment. It feels like Rebecca Yarros really loves to mess with our emotions. Liam Mairi? Jack Barlowe? Now Xaden? What she put Violet through with Varrish and all that torture? While this is a romantasy, this series is as brutal as they get to be fair. So please excuse me, but I really can’t imagine a clean, happy ending. I reckon it will be happy in the sense that good will win and evil will be defeated. But at what cost?
Now don’t get me wrong. I would love nothing more but for our main characters to hold hands at the end, fly into the sunset with their dragons, but I just don’t see Yarros as that type of author. Yes, I am bracing myself.
What do you think the deal is with the modern language? And hey, at least Jesinia survives…
- Iron Flame Theory: Thoughts about Violet’s box
- Iron Flame Theory: Parallel between Iron Flame characters and the Pantheon
- Iron Flame Theory: How come that Violet and Xaden share dreams?
- Iron Flame Theory: Bodhi is Xaden’s brother
- Predictions for Book 3 Empyrean Series
- Iron Flame Theory: Violet and Xaden are Gods
- Empyrean Series Theory: Xaden Riorson is a morally grey character.
- Iron Flame Theory: The physics of Violet’s signet (and why gravity is not her second signet)
- Iron Flame Theory: General Daramor is more important than we think
- Iron Flame Theory: Venin live forever
- Iron Flame Theory: The Isle Kingdoms’ Rift and the Unseen Alliances
- Iron Flame Theory: Are the Gods among us?
- Empyrean Series Theory: Did Liam master more signets than we initially thought?
- Iron Flame Theory: There is something off with the Sorrengail family dynamic
- Iron Flame Theory: The elixir developed by the leadership is not new
- Iron Flame Theory: We will have a new General in Book 3
- Iron Flame Theory: Smells are crucial clues (eyes too!)
- Iron Flame Theory: Tairn and Sgaeyl might have had hatchlings
- Iron Flame Theory: Why are dragons so afraid of hatchlings being discovered by humans?
- Iron Flame Theory: Varrish was venin
- Iron Flame Theory: The Barrens will be restored with Sloane’s help
- Iron Flame Theory: We will unite the continent and have a modern language
- Iron Flame Theory: Did Naolin really die saving Brennan?
- Iron Flame Questions and Answers – What do we know so far?
- Iron Flame Theory: Aaric’s blue clubtail to become Andarna’s mate
- Iron Flame Theory: Violet’s second signet
- Iron Flame Theory: Mr Sorrengail is General Venin
- Iron Flame Theories – A complete collection
- Iron Flame Theory: Andarna knows how to kill venin